Tuesday, January 5

The List

The Challenge:
Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.

The Criteria:
Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on your part).

Why 1001 Days?
Many people have created lists in the past - frequently simple challenges such as New Year's resolutions or a 'Bucket List'. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organizing and timing some tasks such as overseas trips, study semesters, or outdoor activities.


Start Date: January 1, 2010

End Date: September 28, 2012

(in progress, completed)


Growth

*Take a self-defense course

*Go on a mission trip

*Read a book in German

*Learn a new word in a foreign language everyday for one month: 0/30

*Volunteer somewhere that is meaningful to me

*Read the entire Bible: 0/66 books read

*Fast once a day every month to teach me strength: 0/33

*Try 1 drink a month that I have never had before: 0/33


Health

*Do monthly breast self exams (since I am young and already had a lumpectomy): 7/33

*Drink 3 glasses of water everyday for 1 month: 0/30

*Quit drinking ‘Pop’, ‘Soda’, ‘Cola’, or whatever you call it.

*Work out 15 min. every day for a month: 0/30

*Become flexible enough that I can wrap my hands over my feet with my legs straight

*Quit caffeine (besides Excedrin Migraine because it saves my life every now and again)

*Quit eating chocolate (completely) since it makes me sick anyways

*Don't go out to eat for an entire month

*Go to the doctor for a check-up

*Go to the eye doctor for new glasses

*Go to the dentist because I just should

*Take a vitamin everyday for a month


Travel/Fun Activities

*Go hiking with the Mr. at least 5 times: 0/5

*Take a weekend trip with my mom

*Watch the Top 100 Movies of All time: 10/100

*Go see Hippos at the zoo

*Go ice-skating with my nieces

*Go see The Avett Brothers in concert

*Go camping with the family

*Visit Mustard Seed Market in Akron, OH

*Visit Kent Co-Op Market in Kent, OH

*Spend a day in Amish Country…again

*Go shooting with my brother

*Watch IMDb Top 250: 66/250

*Visit Whipps Ledge and Hickley Lake

*Go see the Cleveland Symphony Orchestra


Should/Would/Could

*Develop a cleaning schedule and stick to it for a month: 0/30

*Get CPR certified

*Take a yoga class

*Write a living will

*Save enough money so that we can consider starting to grow our family

*Don’t use facebook or twitter for a month straight: 0/30

*Put our wedding album together

*Learn how to sew

*Learn how to can foods

*Quit a bad habit

*Sew myself an article of clothing (bigger than a handkerchief)

*Make the Mr. and me a quilt (no sew is perfectly acceptable)

*Learn to recognize 5 native birds: 0/5

*Learn to recognize 5 native trees: 0/5

*Learn and memorize my local, state, and national representatives

*Research politicians with the same political agenda as me (if there are any)
*Make or buy second-hand (ie. books) Christmas gifts one year
*Make a monthly menu and stick to it for 6 months: 0/6
*Make a budget and stick to it for 6 months: 1/6
*Read 10 books on the All-Time 100 Novels list: 0/10
*Try 1 new recipe every month: 1/33

Good Deeds

*Walk the Crop Walk every year: 0/3

*Donate Blood

*Do RAK

*Give a Heifer International gift

*Send one letter per month via snail mail to someone

*Make a quilt for Katie’s Comforters Guild


Just Because

*Compete in NaNoWriMo

*Compete in NaBloPoMo

*Get my concealed carry license

*Try one new food a month: 0/33

*Send a secret to PostSecret

*Grow an herb garden

*Make a binder of project ideas for the Farm

*Put together a survival kit for our house

*Complete a knitting project

*Set up a Flickr account and start taking pictures

*Don't wear shoes for an entire day

*Get a job

*Read 6 novels in 6 months: 0/6

*Paint a picture and hang it up in my house

*Visit all the small towns around us

*Grow my hair out to the longest it has ever been (which was in Kindergarten)

*Go to Carmen and let her cut my hair however she wants with no input from me

*Stay with my grandma for a weekend to help her and hang out

*Throw an open house for our new apartment


This List

*Donate $1 for every failed goal

*Blog this list and update it for accountability

*Write a new 101 list before I finish this one


Earth Friendly

*Refurbish a second-hand piece of furniture

*Buy a fuel-friendly car

*Compost for a month

*Read 5 books about planting an organic garden: 0/5

*Save up enough money to buy a pair of Simple Shoes or TOMS Shoes

*Go to a Farmer’s Market at least once a month during the season

*Sell/Recycle my old computer

*Make a recycling area in our house

*Switch one more product we use to organic/eco-conscious every month: 7/33

*Join a CSA

*Get houseplants to help clean the air in our house

*Make 10 things that I would traditionally buy: 0/10

*Feed worms under my sink

*Buy organic makeup

*Only go places that I can walk for one day
*Spend one day biking where I would normally drive
*Only eat foods that are in season for 6 months:
0/6
*Research how I can buy everything I need locally compared to buying from corporations






2 comments:

  1. I would happily watch movies with you (we have Netflix), see the Cleveland Symphony, take you to Mustard Seed (Sara used to work there), lend you many classic novels, or get you some private instruction from a master artisan quilter (my momma). I'm glad you are nearby now and would love to hang out and show you around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We use Netflix as well. I love it. I will definitely hit you up for some of the others.

    I am excited that we are closer, too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails