Wednesday, February 3

Got My Hair Did...Done...Whatever

I went and got my hair cut today. It is extremely similar to this:
NOT!! I will post a picture though...tomorrow. Right now I think Miss America would be jealous of the amount of product in my hair. I want to wait to see what it will look like when I do it.

So I went to an Aveda salon in our town because my little cousin graduated from the Aveda Institute, and I figured they were probably a trustworthy established since I start my new job in 2 days. I didn't need to look like I let my 3 year-old niece run wild with a pair of safety scissors.

Might I add that I have not cut my hair in over 6 months so it was well over due.

Anyways, let's talk a little bit more about Aveda. The opening line that pops up when you google them is this: "Aveda's professional hair and skin care products give you a fashion-forward look while still supporting eco-friendly practices." You had me very intrigued, Aveda. Tell me more.

From the Aveda website:

At Aveda, we continually seek to increase the use of naturally-derived ingredients in our products. ‘Naturally Derived’ means an ingredient meets a number of criteria, including:

  • Derived from a plant, non-petroleum mineral, inorganic or other natural source (e.g., water); and
  • More than 50% of the molecular weight comes from those natural sources; and other criteria must be met for suitability of use (for example, we avoid certain types of processing)

Aveda looks at our products’ environmental impact, and takes the following into consideration when formulating:

  • The raw materials for ingredients used in our products (for example, we do not use plant species we determine are endangered)
  • The impact on the communities and their ecosystems which provide the raw materials
  • The processing of raw materials into the ingredients for our products
  • The impact of the finished products on the people and the environment

Aveda tries to ensure our products will not only benefit our customers through exceptional performance, but will positively impact the people and economies from which the product’s ingredients are sourced. Aveda firmly believes that we will succeed in this effort by striving to use what we call Green Ingredients in our products whenever possible.

“Green Ingredients” are one or more of the following:

  • Sourced from organic, sustainable or renewable plant-based origins
  • Represent ecological and cultural diversity by being sourced from different habitats all over the world
  • Provide fair compensation to suppliers
  • Do not negatively impact the ecosystems from which they are sourced
  • Are biodegradable
  • Involve environmentally responsible processing (for example, steam distillation rather than chemical extraction of essential oils)
  • Are animal friendly (Aveda does not conduct animal testing on its products or ask others to do so on our behalf except if required by law, and actively supports the development of alternative methods to animal testing)

To facilitate the choice of ingredients that meet these standards, Aveda is partnering with the EPEA, an environmental research institute located in Germany and led by Michael Braungart, co-author of “Cradle to Cradle” design principals for products. Aveda is constantly evolving our ingredient sourcing process to meet our goals, helping to continually move our business toward our vision. As we evolve, we continually measure our past accomplishments and plan for future improvements.

Wind Energy Anyone?

First beauty company manufacturing with 100% certified wind power.*

Our funding of new wind energy sources generates enough wind energy to offset 100% of the electricity used by our primary manufacturing, distribution and headquarters facility in Minnesota, USA. **

So I am pretty excited about all the great things that Aveda is doing for the environment. I would definitely recommend you check out an Aveda salon near you. What to learn more about Aveda? Click Here.

Do eco-conscious companies factor into where you go to shop or get your hair cut? Let me know what you think.


Picture from http://redbirdacres.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails