Monday, February 8

5 DIY Skills To Cultivate

Yes, teaching your children to shoot guns is important. It says so in New York Magazine. (Actually, it says nothing about children holding firearms, but I liked the painted fingernails on this little girl.)

Anyways, what they do say is that there are 5 skills everyone should learn.

This comes from Re-Nest. I really like the way they put it:

In an ode to the resurgence of the Urban Woodsman ("Dresses like Bunyan, acts like Thoreau, works in marketing...the plaid-clad male archetype"),
New York Magazine put together their own primer on the necessary skills plus classes for the serious self-sufficient man or woman:
  1. Butchering Not for vegetarians, obviously.
  2. Animal Tracking
  3. Ice Climbing
  4. Winter Camping
  5. Riflery
I can honestly say I have one of the skills in a very basic manner and that is number 5. Go figure. The Mr. is pretty good at 4 and 5 and probably ok at 2. (I feel like I am ordering off a Mexican Restaurant menu with all these number references.)

As I work a little more in my sustainability, I really do hope to get butchering experience. Ice climbing I just don't see very useful in the flat-lands of the Midwest. But hey, you never know I guess.

What are your thoughts on these skills? Are they really needed? Or what would you add to them?

P.S. Expect a lot of late night posts these week. I am still getting used to this whole being employed thing and still blogging daily.


Picture from http://www.rockbrookcamp.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/riflery-kids-camp.jpg

1 comment:

  1. You're right, all of those skills seem useful except the ice climbing one, although there is a pretty big pile of snow in the parking lot of the school next to us. Plus, the other four would come in handy if ever in a "LOST" situation.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails