Monday, January 18

Glass or Plastic??.....Glass.


While I am usually a big fan of cheaper, I am learning rather quickly that cheaper now doesn't always mean cheaper in the long run. This really hit home for me when it came to buying food storage container, especially those that the Mr. takes to work for lunch. Seeing as though I make his lunch every day we needed storage containers because I wasn't willing to waste so many plastic bags or aluminum foil just to house his food from home to work.

So while we were in Colorado and the Mr. was in school we bought some plastic storage containers. Your typical Glad storage containers and the knock-offs. They were fine and did the job, but the longer we used them the more concerned I became.

The container got melty (not a word, I know) around the top of the food if I warmed it up. I started researching and found out how not good plastic containers can be! So I stopped putting anything warm in plastic and thought my troubles were solved. The longer I used them the less happy I became. The lids didn't always fit right. I still needed to buy containers for hot foods. I just wasn't happy.

So on a fateful day at The Container Store I found Snapware's Glass Lock containers. I bought a few before we moved back and have been using them non-stop since. I am thoroughly satisfied. I don't have to worry about potentially harmful chemicals leaking into my food, and I can microwave them and use them in the dishwasher (if I had one). The Mr. is enjoying them as well.

The downside is that they are heavy and not cheap. I view them as an investment and a little weight trainer (they aren't that heavy). Overall, I couldn't be happier.

What is your food storage container of choice? Any recommendations?


Picture from www.snapware.com.

1 comment:

  1. We use mason jars for left overs. As for bulk foods that we need to store (lentils, rics, spices,etc.), we use italian jars with latched lids. Looks nice and a great way to keep the kitchen organized!

    Thanks for suggesting the those snapware glass lock containers. Mason jar lids rust after awhile.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails