Tuesday, January 12

The "Stuff" I Cherish Most

I put "stuff" in quotes because I am not a huge fan of having lots of stuff. I feel like we always get too wrapped up in what we have instead of just being happy that we have enough. We are always wanting more. If you don't believe my shear hatred towards stuff talk to the Mr. sometime. That was probably our biggest fight about moving home. I was always complain....I mean helpfully reminding him that he has too much stuff for not even being midway through his 20s.

One of the biggest insight I have learned about myself is that clutter and disorganization make me stressed and irritable. I love the saying, "Everything has a place, and there is a place for everything." I need organization in my life, so usually while I am sitting in my bedroom with pictures, bags, and other random items on the floor, I think to myself, "Self, (yes, I call myself, Self. Don't judge.) what items in this room can I get rid of?" But for some reason today while I stared at all the things that haven't found a home in our apartment since the move I thought to myself, "Self, (I am serious about this Self thing.) what items in this room/apartment could I never get rid of?" And do you know what I realized (probably not, unless you have insight into my brain that I don't have)? Everything I loved was second-hand "stuff".

These are a few of my favorite things (Go ahead and try not to sing the song now):

My favorite "Old Lady" Sweater
My grandma gave it to me around Christmas time, and it was actually her mother's.

My favorite decorative item
I forget where this came from exactly but my mom always had it sitting in the window over the sink.
She gave it to me when I got married.

My favorite gift from the Mr.
This is my engagement ring.
The diamond is actually from my Great-Grandma U's engagement ring.

My favorite thing from a loved one that died
This is my birthstone ring.
I got it from my Grandpa P. after my Grandma P. died since we had the same birth month.

My favorite item in my apartment
My great-grandma (Granny. Same lady who owned the sweater.) hand-braided this rug. It was one of the last ones she made. My Grandma U. is letting me use it to bring some warmth into our bedroom.

While I like a lot of the stuff I own, I know that if there was a fire (God forbid) these would make it out before anything else. I guess my sentimentality kicks in before money. (Notice nothing on here cost me any real money.)

What things do you own that mean most to you? Leave a comment and let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails